Operating Room Technician
Company: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Posted on: November 11, 2019
Role Purpose:?Under the general direction of the Operating Suite
Unit Director and/or Operating Suite Clinical Coordinator, provides
assistance as a surgical team member in procuring supplies and
instruments for surgical procedures and assists with operative
procedures according to hospital policies and
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance
as defined at St. Mary?s Hospital using the conceptual framework
for nursing practice as a guide. Assumes responsibility and
accountability for own professional practice, continuing education
and competency (i.e., mandatory inservice, staff meetings). Seeks
learning opportunities. ???
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers.
Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel. Supports the
activities, decisions and initiative of colleagues. ???
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies,
procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment
operation and maintenance. ???
- Completes documentation according to unit/hospital standards. ?
- Assists circulating nurse in preparing for a surgical procedure
by establishing sterile field(s) and opening necessary sterile
- Under direct supervision of circulating nurse and other
surgical team members, may assist with positioning of a patient for
- Passes instruments, sponges and sutures to surgeon and
assistants as needed. Completes needle, sponge and instrument count
with a registered nurse. Shares responsibility with the registered
nurse for the handling of surgical specimens. ???
- Directly responsible for handling of used and unused
instruments at the conclusion of the surgical procedure. Assists in
room clean up and prepares room for next case. ???
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively.
Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT
minimal or nonexistent. ???
- Preforms surgical specialty team leader role which includes
organizing, facilitating and ensuring that individual surgical
specialty areas are effectively operationalized. Monitors the daily
operation of the surgical specialty, promoting and assuring a high
standard of care. Identifies surgical specialty needs and problems.
Works to effectively resolve issues. Assists with ongoing equipment
education for other staff members. Requires a minimum of at least 2
years current operating room experience. ???
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Graduate of a technical program for Operating Room Technicians
or ?equivalent? military/hospital based training.
- Current employees must maintain BLS certification. New hires
must achieve certification within 3 months of hire.
- Demonstrates evidence of knowledge regarding surgical
procedures including anatomy and physiology as it relates to the
procedure and equipment and supplies necessary.
- Knowledge of sterile technique.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures applicable to
practice area.?Preferred Qualifications:
- Previous healthcare experience? Physical
Requirements:?Employees in this position are, or can be, required
to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 7?hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6?hours
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
operation.St. Mary's Hospital ? Madison ??St. Mary's is a 440-bed
tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient
treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all
specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the
Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics,
orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated
with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year
family practice residency program. Since 1912, St. Mary's has
provided service to much of south-central Wisconsin including Dane
County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun
Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides
services to more than 30,000 residents. ??
Keywords: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison, Madison , Operating Room Technician, Professions , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!