Senior Business Systems Analyst
Company: Wisconsin Investment Board
Posted on: March 18, 2023
Making a Difference
SWIB is a trusted and skilled global investment organization managing the assets of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS) and other separately managed funds. With over $140 billion in total assets under management, SWIB has been recognized by the investment industry for its teamwork and innovation that helps make it a premier asset manager. Sophisticated investment management strategies, forward-looking technologies, and strong internal asset management make SWIB a leading investment organization.
For public employees in Wisconsin, SWIB is a unique and valuable partner. Investing for the financial security of more than 652,000 individuals - and for the 1,500 Wisconsin employers who contribute on behalf of their employees - SWIB's strong management of the WRS has helped fuel one of only a few fully funded public pension funds in the country. SWIB's long-term investment returns meet the challenges of a constantly evolving investment landscape while helping grow and protect the assets of the WRS, the 8th largest public pension fund in the U.S. and the 25th largest public or private pension fund in the world.
We are a mission-driven organization and the participants we serve are our mission. By bringing a disciplined, prudent, and innovative approach to market opportunities, SWIB has been successful in generating respectable returns and maintaining the trust of the beneficiaries and stakeholders of the funds we oversee.
Join HIGHER PERFORMERS
Home to Top Talent
SWIB has long been recognized as an investment leader because of its success in maintaining the WRS and because of the highly qualified staff overseeing the retirement trust funds. SWIB is committed to investing in professionals that will keep the organization at the forefront of the investment industry. As an innovative organization, SWIB offers professional development opportunities that enable staff to grow and develop. Approximately 61 percent of SWIB's investment professionals are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) charterholders.
About the Team
The Technology Team at SWIB supports, implements & develops industry-leading systems and platforms to support SWIB's diverse and complex set of investment portfolios and strategies. The team at SWIB strives to be a trusted advisor and partner to the business that is valued as a critical contributor to SWIB's continued growth and success. We effectively leverage technology to derive the maximum value from it and achieve SWIB's business goals. We keep technology aligned with SWIB's future direction and operate SWIB's technology according to industry standards.
The Senior Business Systems Analyst is responsible for leading the day-to-day technical work related to the business systems architecture supporting SWIB's front and middle offices functionality for both public and private markets. This senior role will also be responsible for leading the construction and maintenance of the processes utilized by the Senior Business Systems Analyst and consultants. This role has deep investment industry knowledge allowing the incumbent to effectively analyze, design, model/prototype, test, and guide the implementation of systems utilized by SWIB. The role partners with Operations and other parts of Technology to ensure that SWIB's systems are appropriately designed to meet business needs and be effectively supported over time.
* Work with Technology Owners, Business Owners, and Operations to research and implement new solutions and identify the support needs of those solutions.
* Analyze Investment Management, Operations, and Technology teams' needs, both internal and external of SWIB, to ensure business needs are continuously being met through the design, development, or deployment of software (whether through upgrades or new programs).
* Serve as the architect/designer for the investment management applications and systems SWIB utilizes, and how those applications, systems, and component pieces interact, including creating test plans, scenarios, and procedures for new software implemented.
* Identify gaps and risks in SWIB's systems architecture, design, and projects. Make recommendations to business and Technology management about the best way to address or minimize these gaps and risks.
* Lead, facilitate, and coordinate the software or solution architecture and design (including, where applicable, the code needed) of solutions (e.g., applications and systems).
* Implement software testing, using either manual or automated programs and exploratory testing, and evaluate results, including documenting and reporting defects or problems with software and oversee future maintenance and upgrades
* Continue to mature and evolve knowledge of investment and asset management business practices, both from a textbook and a practical perspective
* Understand general and investment industry-specific technology trends and forecast future technology shifts.
* Research new investment management technologies to help drive SWIB's business capabilities forward and maintain a high degree of awareness of common industry-specific trends, products, vendors, and services
The ideal candidate:
* Bachelor's Degree required with a preference focus within Information Systems, Computer Science or Finance.
* 5 plus years of investment management industry experience.
* Have in-depth knowledge of vendor systems such as BlackRock Aladdin, Bloomberg, Charles River, FactSet, SimCorp (preferred), and RiskMetrics, or equivalents with a focus on the use of such systems from a public and/or private markets perspective
* Proven ability to develop solutions utilizing Python, R, SQL, or others.
* Substantial knowledge of investment industry operational and functional capabilities.
* Substantial knowledge of investment industry strategies, processes, and technologies.
* Ability to objectively influence successful outcomes and work cross-functionally.
* Ability to document and communicate technical knowledge effectively.
* Ability to envision solutions, communicate those solutions and help form tangible outputs from those conceptual solutions.
* Communicating complex technology subjects in layman's terms.
* Detailed familiarity with common investment practices and securities.
* Ability to design technology solutions to solve business problems.
* Ability to translate business requirements into technology specifications and design systems to meet the needs of the business.
* Competitive McLagan-based total cash compensation
* A comprehensive benefit package
* Educational and training opportunities
* Tuition reimbursement
* Challenging work in a professional environment
The position requires U.S. work authorization. Pursuant to our Hybrid Remote Work Policy, all staff have the flexibility to work remotely, but are required to have a weekly presence in our offices, the frequency of which is dependent on their distance from office. Staff are not required to reside locally, however we offer relocation reimbursement to the Dane County area per our policy.
Keywords: Wisconsin Investment Board, Madison , Senior Business Systems Analyst, Professions , Madison, Wisconsin
here to apply!