Licensed Practical Nurse
Company: SSM Health St. Mary's Care Center
Posted on: October 13, 2019
Role Purpose: ?As a member of the Center healthcare team,
administers care to clients according to accepted nursing norms and
policies of the Center and Wisconsin State Board of
- Quality Skilled Nursing Care: Provides quality care to
subacute/chronically ill residents, assists in the care of acutely
ill residents, and administers medications and treatments according
to standards of care, and maintains competency in all required
nursing skills. Uses equipment according to standards of care and
policy/procedure. Reports repair needs. Provides direction to CNAs
and monitors the workflow of the unit to ensure coordination of
care. Monitors resident condition and report significant changes to
nurse supervisor or physician. ???
- Medication Administration: Maintains accurate inventory of
medications at the beginning and end of each shift. Ensures
accurate distribution of medications to all residents according to
the 5 rights. Monitors for medication side effects. Ensures that
medications are provided in a manner consistent with manufacturer's
guidelines. Completes form when taking medication from contingency
supply. Notifies pharmacy of medication needs. ???
- Communication: Participates in report meetings at the beginning
and end of each shift. Communicates appropriate information to
other care providers. Acts as a resource for non-licensed staff re:
policies/procedures. Communicates with residents, guardians, and
family members on the current condition and needs of residents in
accordance with regulations and standards of practice. Communicates
resident needs to other departments as appropriate. ???
- Preventative Skin Care: Monitors that preventative measures are
in place such as: specialty mattresses, foam boots, Cavilon to
heels, turning/repositioning schedules, toileting schedules,
cushions in all wheelchairs. Follows up on CNA reports of rashes,
open areas, edema, blisters, skin tears, or bleeding. ???
- Fall Prevention: Responds promptly to alarms. Ensures that
restraint alternatives are in place/activated including: personal
alarms, cushion alarms, wheelchair belts, tumble mats, alarm mats,
bolstered beds, hip protectors. Remains alert to fall risks for
residents and takes action to reduce fall risk. ???
- End of Life Care: Ensures quality end of life care. Uses
comfort basket to meet resident and family needs. Checks hygiene,
comfort, and spiritual needs are met. Treats pain/restlessness.
Offers family courtesy meal trays and other amenities. Demonstrates
compliance with post-mortem care procedures. Participates in
departure ceremony. ? ??
- Safety: Complies with safety policies/procedures to ensure safe
practices for residents, staff, self and others. Ensures compliance
with: gait belt use for all manually assisted transfers,
locomotion/transfer, lifting devices, resident positioning, and
always uses mechanical lift to lift resident from floor. Uses good
body mechanics while on duty. Identifies wandering residents and
responds to door alarms. Uses and disposes of sharps according to
safety standards. Reports safety incidents, concerns, or hazards to
supervisor or other responsible parties as indicated. ???
- Infection Control: Complies with infection control standards
during tour of duty including hand hygiene, appropriate use of
personal protective equipment, and isolation precautions.
Understands to use handwashing with soap and water when dealing
with gastrointestinal illnesses. Maintains residents in isolation
when indicated. Participates in mandatory vaccination programs.
Does not work when contagious. ? ??
- Customer Service: Assists in answering call lights as soon as
possible to meet resident needs in a timely manner. Avoids 'toxic'
phrases while on duty. Takes action to correct customer service
issue immediately. Understands how to use a 'Fix It Now' and uses
when indicated. ???
- Documentation: Completes all assigned documentation
requirements including weekly summaries, medication/treatment
administration, and documentation of resident condition. Keeps
access code for computer confidential at all times. Does not share
access code with others and does not use other's access codes.
- Privacy/Confidentiality: Maintains privacy and confidentiality
for residents at all times including resident information in any
format: paper, electronic, video, photographic, and
- Must be a graduate of a state accredited program
- Current License in WisconsinPhysical Requirements:?Employees in
this position are, or can be, required to possess the following
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 4 hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6 hours
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
Keywords: SSM Health St. Mary's Care Center, Madison , Licensed Practical Nurse, Other , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!