Senior Java Engineer - Open to Remote!
Company: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S.
Posted on: August 7, 2022
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an
organization s most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences
matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we re committed to
growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation
that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers dreams in
ways never imagined.American Family Insurance is driven by our
customers and employees. That s why we provide more than just a job
we provide opportunity. Whether you re already part of our team in
search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what
s next, you re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that
starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our
team. Bring your dreams.Job ID: R26733 Senior Java Engineer - Open
to Remote! (Open)Compensation may vary based on the job level and
your geographic work location.Compensation Minimum:$90,200
AnnualCompensation Maximum:$144,500 AnnualSummary:The Senior Java
Engineer leads and drives the development team in creation of new
software products/features or maintenance efforts, and coordinates
efforts across multiple development teams. The Senior Engineer will
provide technical guidance and leadership to the project team in
collaboration with Delivery Managers, Project Managers, Application
Domain Architects and other Engineers. The Senior Engineer is
responsible for software design and development for complex and/or
large-scale business solutions, providing technical guidance and
leadership for specific applications. This role may perform various
roles in the development of applications in any phase of the
systems development life cycle. Provides in-depth technical
mentoring, provides estimates, and assists team members in
resolving technical problems, and assists in the project planning
and task identifications. Performs complex system analysis and
trouble shooting of problems and recommends solutions. This role
recommends opportunities to improve system stability, effectiveness
and efficiency. Works in a mobile, client/server, business
intelligence, and/or web environment for internally built
applications or vendor packaged applications.
Job Description:Job DescriptionPrimary AccountabilitiesTechnical
- Drives initiatives to adopt new processes and adheres to
- Uses comprehensive application knowledge and or technical
knowledge to provide guidance and technical leadership to project
resources or maintenance resources. Maintains an awareness of other
projects and their possible effect on ongoing projects.
- Assists and holds others accountable for their commitments.
Takes accountability for team deliverables and overall team
success; manages own tasks.
- Recognizes and escalates quality, deadline, or deliverable
issues within own work environment to team leads and/or
- Ensures effective integration and communication between
multiple development teams with interdependencies.
- Leads and/or participates in systems analysis, general systems
design, specification development for vendor contracts, and
detailed systems design as needed based on expertise.
- Provides technical leadership in the ongoing adoption and
development of software engineering procedures, standards and
- Makes recommendations and presentations to senior management
regarding technical issues, technical investments, and strategic
directions.Application Development (30%)
- Provides expertise during the initial phases of the project
including estimating resources, skill requirements, time
requirements, identifying tools and technologies, participating in
proof of concepts, etc.
- Analyzes high level system specifications, business
requirements and/or use cases. Converts information into the
appropriate level specifications and system design plan for the
development team. Designs and develops complex software solutions
in adherence with I/S standards, methodology and internal controls.
Identifies and provides solution alternatives for the defined
functional and system requirements when needed.
- Understands and identifies system dependencies. Understands
functionality, integration points and impacts of proposed changes
to supporting applications. Follows through with options and
- Consults with others to validate complex design decisions.
Provides advanced coding expertise to mitigate high risk features
or technical challenges.
- Provides appropriate documentation for design decisions,
estimating assumptions, code modules, and performance metrics as
required by organization standards.
- Defines, conducts, mentors others, and/or participates in
testing (i.e. unit, system integration). Prepares, leads and/or
participates in development walkthroughs.
- Collaborates with others regarding effectiveness of systems
flow, data usage and manual or automated processes to verify
- Ensures software development meets standards for programming,
design, performance, and security. Identifies and recommends areas
for improvement in planning, design, development, and testing.
- Creates, maintains, and/or enhances system documentation as
needed.Maintenance & Support (15%)
- Provides input for contingency and disaster recovery
- Repairs, modifies, and develops additional functionality.
- Follows and supports change management practices and internal
controls standards. Communicates changes and impact to those
affected. Assists less experienced technologists in all areas of
maintenance and communication.
- Provides vendor system support.
- Shares knowledge and information with others to resolve
problems and build team knowledge.
- Identifies enhancements to meet changing data requirements,
usability, interfaces and future maintainability of software.
- Assists with creation and maintenance of service desk
diagnostics and job aids for area of responsibility. Updates and/or
reviews with those affected.
- Performs and/or partners with I.S. colleagues to conduct
performance tuning to ensure applications meet service level
agreements.Solution Development Leadership (15%)
- Supports the development and implementation of the modeled
- Champions and enables software development processes and code
- Develops prototypes, frameworks/shells or specialized utilities
for the development team.
- Provides technical guidance/mentoring to development
team.Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and understanding complex
- Demonstrated experience communicating technical
- Demonstrated experience developing different solution-delivery
and design approaches and solutions to customers.
- Demonstrated experience developing complex software/systems
using one or more programming language.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing and estimating project size
and work efforts for software solutions.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical guidance and
leadership to less experienced staff.
- Demonstrated experience translating business requirements into
architectural deliverables and technical specifications.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of software development
and design standards and methodologies.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of infrastructure
technologies, operating systems, and the interconnectivity between
infrastructure platforms and software tools.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of application
architecture and design alternatives.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of systems development
life cycle (SDLC).
- Extensive Knowledge and understanding of integration and
migration strategies and technologies.Additional Job
Information:Strongly prefer candidates who have strong Java and
integration experiences. Also ideally looking for AWS and informal
people leadership/team lead experiences.o Offer to selected
candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable
background checkso Offer to selected candidate is contingent on
signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information,
trade secrets, and inventions#LI-RemoteThis role is open to
remoteWhen you work at American Family you can expect benefits that
support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will
have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing
benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer
a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual
incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student
loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to
support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent
workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise benefits.We
also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories,
consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Stay
connected: Join Our Enterprise !#LI-JM1 Associated topics:
application architect, architecture, c, design, design pattern,
devops, java, senior, senior software engineer, software engineer
Keywords: AFMIC American Family Mutual Insurance Company, S., Madison , Senior Java Engineer - Open to Remote!, Other , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!