Equipment Software Engineer
Company: Exact Sciences
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Equipment and Automation Engineer delivers solutions to
support the business goals and objectives in a matrix organization.
This role will work on cross-functional projects in all phases of
the project lifecycle, with an emphasis on design transfer and
continuous improvement of equipment. This role will also support
new industrial automation projects as a technical expert, in
collaboration with internal experts and external partners to
specify, develop, procure, install, commission, and execute
projects to deliver results. This position will be a combination of
software support for the equipment, as well as assist with other
mechanical, electrical, documentation, or project management parts
of the projects, based on the needs of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, construct, test, deploy, and maintain general
computer applications software or specialized utility
- Lead or support cross-functional teams on new equipment by
providing technical expertise; including, but not limited to,
implementing engineering controls, performing risk assessments and
design reviews, supporting installations, and executing
- Support new product introductions by collaborating with
research and development (R&D) and operations/lab operations to
ensure design for manufacturability elements are incorporated into
product requirements and development activities to facilitate
smooth transfer of products and processes into new or existing
- Manage and execute the design transfer process for new
equipment; including, but not limited to, ensuring the
manufacturing and quality systems, SAP and Agile, are set up
correctly for the production teams.
- Support existing equipment by providing equipment set up and
adjustment, hands-on troubleshooting, repair, planned maintenance,
and performance monitoring in a good manufacturing practice (GMP)
- Identify, document, gain approval for, execute, manage, and
communicate on various continuous improvement projects.
- Lead or participate in investigations of manufacturing
processes associated with internal review, corrective and
preventative actions (CAPA), audits, or complaints.
- Manage and execute changes through product end of life;
including, but not limited to, deviations, replacements, and
enhancements to the existing equipment ensuring appropriate change
control practices are followed.
- Ability to be highly creative and manage multiple projects
- Ability to multi-task and work productively in a demanding
environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with strong
attention to detail and record keeping skills required in a GMP
- Ability to work within a matrix management organization.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds for approximately 10% of a
typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a
computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a
typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and
forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment;
including, but not limited to, microscopes, microtomes, blades,
strainers, and pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and
instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing
elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 10% of working time away from work location,
may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Programming, or
related field as outlined in the essential duties.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in C# or other high-level
SQL, PL/SQL, .NET and Google Web Toolkit.
- 5+ years of experience managing and executing projects of
various sizes and scopes and communicating to cross-functional
- Demonstrated ability to define problems, collect data,
establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, plan, and drive projects to
completion through disciplined project management methodology and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; including, but not
limited to, Outlook.
- Authorization to work in the United States without
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation.
- Experience in projects that include integration of biological
systems with automation and software applications in the life
sciences, biotechnology, diagnostics, pharmaceutical, or medical
- Experience with in vitro diagnostic equipment as it relates to
GAMP (Good Automation Manufacturing Practices), ISO 13485
standards, and 21 CFR 820 regulations.
- Experience in specifying, selecting, and integrating
manufacturing systems and components; including, but not limited
to, robots, material handling, programmable logic controllers
(PLCs), machine vision and image processing, and digital and analog
- Project management experience.
- Experience with SQL or equivalent project database
- Experience with Wago PLC's and Epson Robots.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin,
protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
and any other status protected by applicable local, state, or
federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's affirmative
action program are available to any applicant or employee for
inspection upon request.
Keywords: Exact Sciences, Madison , Equipment Software Engineer, Other , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!