This position primarily performs Purchasing Agent work to
acquire supplies, services, and construction by purchase, rental,
or lease through (a) delivery orders and/or (b) small purchase
procedures. The work requires knowledge of policies and procedures
for delivery orders and small purchases. This work also requires
knowledge of commercial supply sources and common business
practices related to sales, prices, discounts, units of
measurement, deliveries, stocks, and shipments.
Learn more about this agency
- Examines incoming procurement requests for completeness.
- Makes purchases involving specialized requirements and/or
- Conducts open market research for purchases of routine
equipment, supplies, and services.
- Advises approving officials and purchase card holders on
purchase card program, procurement procedures and
- Conducts follow up action on undelivered orders and aged
purchase card transactions to close our purchase orders.
- Provides clerical support and coordination to approving
officials and administrators.
- Conducts purchasing under the micro purchase threshold.
- Initiates and provides training to acquisition and technical
staff on the procurement process.
- Utilizes departmental software to produce printouts for
logistic and medical staff.
- Identifies factors to determine the best offer applicable for
- Maintains accountable procurement records and auditing
- Maintains inventory of supplies or equipment.
- Monitors purchase requests and active and delinquent invoices,
and processes receipts.
- Monitors purchases and reconciles credit card billing
- Reviews, assembles, and maintains procurement related files and
- Resolves minor disputes and informal complaints.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Purchasing Agent/PD99896S
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all
requirements within 15 days of the closing date of this
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal
employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks
must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of
this announcement. For a
GS-06 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-05. The
grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in
the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade
eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If
the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year,
it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade,
as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide
an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal
employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees
applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA)
You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
- Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized
experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade, GS-05, in
the normal line of progression for the occupation in the
organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically
include, but are not limited to: experience performing clerical or
assistant duties in support of purchasing and procurement;
procuring supplies and services; working with medical staff to
determine procurement needs and priorities; resolving a variety of
shipment, payment, or other discrepancies in support of procurement
programs and operations; purchasing various equipment, supplies,
and services through the use of a purchase card; and assembling
and/or summarizing information from files and documents as required
to create reports utilizing automated computerized systems and
Microsoft Office software programs such as MS Word and Excel.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this
- Customer Service
- Decision Making
- Manages and Organizes Information
- Manages Resources
- Technical Competence
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including
volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace
Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of
work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis
of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants
wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly
the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position
and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: Requires some physical effort such as
standing, sitting, walking, or bending. There are no special
physical demands. The work is performed in an office setting
involving everyday risks or discomforts. Normal safety precautions
For more information on these qualification standards, please
visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are
basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S.
Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities,
schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal
employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification
requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency
with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
For further information, visit: