Custodial Project Lead
Company: Edgewood College
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The Custodial Project Lead will report directly to the Custodial
Services Manager. This position is designed for a working
supervisor who performs the duties of a custodial worker in
addition to providing competent team leadership, training and
supervision to custodial staff. This individual will monitor and
endeavor to improve the overall cleanliness, sanitation, and
appearance of the Colleges working and living environment by
providing exceptional supervisory skills and janitorial expertise
blended with outstanding customer service skills.
3rd Shift Work Schedule: Sunday through Thursday 10:30 p.m. to
As a custodial worker, the responsibilities of this position
include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain all types of flooring and stairways. This may include
sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming.
- Stripping and waxing of vinyl tile floors, bonnet shampoo and
extract carpeting, and deep clean ceramic tile and grouting as
- Clean and sanitize restrooms including all fixtures and
- Clean and maintain a variety of college buildings including
residence halls, offices, classrooms, meeting rooms and common
areas. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning windows,
walls, furniture, technical equipment, laboratory equipment and
- Move and arrange furniture and equipment as needed.
- Perform incidental building maintenance tasks, such as
replacing light bulbs.
- Snow removal which may require the use of machines.
- Empty wastebaskets and recycle containers.
- Assist with event set ups as needed.
- Care for equipment and supplies.
- Maintain an inventory and requisition of supplies.
- Collection of litter and debris.
This position will serve to support the Custodial Supervisor in
leadership and management of staff and contracted labor.
- Working with the Custodial Supervisor to establish long- and
short-range goals for self and other staff.
- Possess the technical skills to develop proper floor care
including stripping and waxing, carpet extraction, and other
- Work with Custodial Supervisor to plan for project work
including floor stripping /waxing, window cleaning, carpet and
furniture extraction, etc.
- Assist with training of new employees and contracted labor by
demonstrating use of cleaning materials and equipment to ensure the
most efficient and economical use of materials and manpower.
- Assist with inspecting the work and monitoring the conduct of
personnel assigned to their shift; working with the Custodial
Manager in providing corrective measures to ensure satisfactory
- Working with the Custodial Supervisor to develop a training
program for all employees in methods and safe use of materials and
- Reporting all hazards, defects, deterioration and wear and tear
of the facilities to Director of Facilities and/or the Custodial
Manager and the Health, Safety and Risk Manager.
- Ensuring that the rules and regulations of the College,
policies and procedures of the Facilities Department, and all
safety regulations, are known and observed by custodial staff.
- Adherence to all department training and safety policies.
Supervise and perform duties of maintenance of equipment and
control of cleaning chemicals and supplies common to the trade.
- Supervision of the supplies requisitioning process of the
- Inspecting equipment used by the night staff to determine need
for new parts, repairs, overhaul, replacement and cleanliness.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in all janitorial closets used
by the staff.
Miscellaneous work assignments may include:
- Overseeing the set-up of College functions and events.
- Working with the Events Coordinator to prepare residence halls,
meeting rooms and classrooms for occupants attending summer
- Performing other routine work of the Facilities Department as
assigned by the Director and/or Custodial Supervisor.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience in some capacity.
Preference will be given to those who have supervised a staff of
three or more people.
- Ability to respond respectfully and effectively to people of
all cultures in a manner that affirms the worth and preserves the
dignity of individuals, families, and communities.
- Good knowledge of the practices and principles of
- Two or more years of actual custodial experience.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, analyze, and execute.
- Ability to be trained and serve in the on-call rotation.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Working knowledge of custodial equipment and chemicals.
- Exemplary customer service skills are necessary.
- Computer literacy including some proficiency with email
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing and
to take instructions from either.
- Ability to express ideas effectively.
- Ability to work effectively with other members of the
department, faculty, staff and students and meet the public
- Walking, bending, lifting may be required in order to supervise
the work of others and to demonstrate proper cleaning
- Attend meetings, seminars and workshops as required.
- Professional demeanor.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to
academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and
students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence the
awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are
culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and
productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented
populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are
especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must
actively support the mission of the College by working with
faculty, staff and students to share in our core values truth,
compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references
Human Resources CPLD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Edgewood College, Madison , Custodial Project Lead, Other , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!