Technical Specialist - Transfusion Services
Company: SSM Health
Posted on: March 16, 2019
Role Purpose: Works under the direction of the Support Serv ices, Core Lab and/or Anatomic Pathology/Microbiology Manager. Provides technical expertise in the clinical discipline assigned for the development and implementation of new procedures, revisions, equipment needs assessment and specific projects. Acts as a technical resource and support person for planning, student education, continuing education, problem solving, and provides consultation for staff, supervisors and pathologists. Coordinates specific ongoing projects for the laboratory under the indirect guidance of the Administrative Director. Authorized by the Laboratory Director to perform technical job duties and limited supervisory and technical oversight duties in our high complexity testing laboratory as specified in Section 493.1495 (Testing Personnel Responsibilities), Section 493.1463 (General Supervisor Responsibilities) and Section 493.1451 (Technical Supervisor Responsibilities) Role Responsibilities:
- Technical Resource and Support: a. Provides in depth technical and professional support and consultation to the pathologist technical advisor, laboratory supervisors, Administrative Director, staff, physicians, and clients serving in the capacity of a technical resource person. b. Reviews the overall quality of the procedures and services provided. c. Develops and presents or coordinates inservice training on procedures and equipment, both new and existing, to staff to maintain proficiency for the complexity level of testing offered as well as other accreditation or regulatory requirements. d. Provides consultation and assists in resolving technical problems. e. Participates in decisions regarding the effective and efficient use of equipment and procedures, working closely and cooperatively with all relevant interests. Actively participates to SSM/hospital purchasing iniatives. f. Maintains an active interest in professional organizations and other outside governmental or regulatory bodies affecting the laboratory. g. Maintains an active interest in professional organizations and other outside governmental or regulatory bodies affecting the laboratory.
- Clinical Research and Development: a. Investigates potential future technical applications through reading, seminars, networking, etc. Performs needs analysis and, in conjunction with the pathologist technical advisor, recommends future technical direction to laboratory management. b. Researches, evaluates equipment and develops new procedures for implementation, consistent with the goals of the laboratory. c. Writes new procedures and reviews procedure manual annually, incorporating necessary changes with the input of staff and pathologist advisor as necessary. d. Works through the Central Accessioning Supervisor or Central Laboratory Supervisor to implement changes and follow through.
- Knowledge: Demonstrates advanced knowledge of all aspects of the job. Maintains skills and knowledge at the competency level required for the position and for maintenance of certification.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Maintains communication with staff and follow-up with Supervisor appropriately as section needs indicate. Communicates pertinent information and works collaboratively with all internal and external customers. Communicates with customers (both in and out of the hospital), staff and supervisors in a courteous manner to create a positive image of helpfulness and cooperation.
- Customer Service: Follows through with customer concerns and/or requests from customers related to Laboratory section assigned.
- Problem Solving: Recognizes problem exists, initiates follow through and resolves problem with appropriate level of direction or assistance.
- Teamwork and Flexibility: Works effectively as a team member, contributing to the overall efficiency and harmonious working relationships of the section/shift and department. Adapts to change which includes but is not limited to procedures, workflow, equipment and schedules to meet the clinical laboratory needs requested by our customers.
- Competency: Independently completes Laboratory and Hospitalwide competencies by required completion dates.
- Teaching: Uses theoretical and technical knowledge to correctly orient new employees or instruct students in basic techniques, procedures and instrument operation by demonstration as assigned. May have responsibilities for MLT student program coordination and evaluation. Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in clinical laboratory science from an approved school.
- CLS/MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification required.
- A minimum of three years of clinical laboratory experience in the specialty required, with emphasis on development and troubleshooting.
- Requires an in depth, current thorough working knowledge of the technical specialty (Microbiology, Chemistry, Hematology, Blood Bank, Phlebotomy, Processing, Reference Laboratory) assigned and its normal operating procedures and protocols, quality control, specimen and result flow and data processing needs.
- Requires ability to teach staff and students in areas of technical specialty and instrumentation. Must have good writing skills to complete procedure outlines and reports.
- Must set priorities and use good judgment in evaluating situations and solving problems. Requires good communication and human relations skills, as well as skill in organization, persuasion and diplomacy to work in a 'coordinating' position. Preferred Qualifications: Master's degree preferred. St. Mary's Hospital Madison St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include practice residency program. Since 1912, St. Mary's has provided service the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family to much of south-central Wisconsin including Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services to more than 30,000 residents.
Keywords: SSM Health, Madison , Technical Specialist - Transfusion Services, IT / Software / Systems , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!