RN - Emergency
Company: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison
Posted on: July 13, 2019
Role Purpose: -- Under the general direction of the Unit Director,
the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to identify
patient needs, systematically plan and implement a plan of care and
continually evaluate the results of that care. -- Responsibilities:
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance
as defined at St. Mary---s Hospital using the conceptual framework
for nursing practice as a guide. Commits to professional
development and visible leadership. Assumes responsibility and
accountability for own professional practice, continuing education
and competency (i.e., mandatory inservice, staff meetings). Seeks
learning opportunities. ------
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers.
Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel. Supports the
activities, decisions and initiative of colleagues ------
- Utilizes the nursing process to develop a care plan and deliver
patient care. Uses best practice based on literature outcomes,
integrates into care provisions and decision making. Advocates for
patient/family throughout the nursing process. Acts as a clinical
resource to and supervises care delivered by the NA. Delegates work
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies,
procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment
operation and maintenance. Completes documentation according to
unit/hospital standards. ------
- Demonstrates ability to recognize personal values and beliefs
and recognize own beliefs and values as separate from the patient
- Supports activities of colleagues. Participates in unit and/or
housewide quality improvement measures. Contributes as an effective
team member. Participates in productive/problem solving dialogue
(i.e., offers and/or seeks solutions to issues). Recognizes and
supports change. ------
- Participates in at least 50% of unit staff meetings. A minimum
of 3 meetings must be in person, the remainder may be by a remote
option. Access individual unit's methods of communication
regularly. -- ----
- Respects the confidentiality and dignity of patients.
Communicates effectively with customers. ------
- Performs charge nurse role. Communicates with Nursing
Supervisor at charge nurse meeting each shift and as unit needs
dictate. Assigns and reassigns personnel according to dynamics of
unit to maintain a balanced workload for current shifts. In
collaboration with the Nursing Supervisor, assesses status of unit,
making sure current and following shifts are adequately covered.
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively.
Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT
minimal or nonexistent. ------
- Performs other duties as requested. --Minimum Qualifications:
- Current State of Wisconsin registered nurse license
- Requires one year of emergency experience
- ACLS and PALS certifications required within one year of
employment Preferred Qualifications:
- BSN preferred
Physical Requirements: -- Employees in this position are, or can
be, required to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 4--hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than
6--hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone
variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read
telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body
sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of
machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper
operation. About SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison: -- St.
Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient
and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care
and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus
include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center,
geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is
affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's
three- year family practice residency program. --
Keywords: SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison, Madison , RN - Emergency, Healthcare , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!