Charge RN - Nursing Home
Company: SSM Health
Posted on: March 17, 2019
Role Purpose: Responsible for Facility supervision of all nursing staff on assigned shift and other department staff as needed. Provides accurate evaluation of all nursing care provided. Role Responsibilities:
- Facility Supervision: supervises nursing staff on shift and other department staff as needed. Participates in interviewing, hiring, coaching, performing performance evaluations, and counseling employees when corrective action is required. Acts as a resource for nursing and auxiliary staff re: policies/procedures and provides guidance as needed. Prepares schedule and monitors work flow to ensure adequate staffing to meet resident needs. Routinely seeks feedback from employees to identify opportunities for workplace improvement.
- Physician Collaboration: Communicates with MD's/GNP's and with other services to communicate changes in physician orders and resident condition change.
- Quality Skilled Nursing Care: Supervises care to acute, sub-acute, and chronically ill residents to ensure quality care is provided. Monitors all units for residents with significant change of condition and responds to acute changes of condition. Provides direction to nursing staff and monitors the workflow of units to ensure coordination of care. Uses nursing process for: assessment, nursing diagnosis, planning, intervention, and evaluation. Report significant changes to physician as indicated.
- Communication/Documentation: Communicates with residents, guardians, family members, physicians, and other departments on the current condition and needs of residents in accordance with regulations and standards of practice. Provides teaching and training to residents/families as needed. Uses EPIC and other technology to enhance communication and coordination of services to residents. Uses electronic medical record to document resident changes in condition, physician updates, physician rounding, and resident family updates/education. Keeps access code for computer confidential at all times. Does not share access code with others and does not use other's access codes.
- Preventative Skin are: Monitors that preventative measures are in place such as: specialty mattresses, foam boots, turning/re-positioning schedules, toileting schedules, cushions in all wheelchairs. Follow up on reports of rashes, open areas, edema, blisters, skin tears, or bleeding.
- Fall Prevention: Responds promptly to alarms. Ensures that restraint alternatives are in place/activated including: personal alarms, cushion alarms, wheelchair belts, tumble mats, alarm mats. Remains alert to fall risks for residents and takes action to reduce fall risk.
- End of Life Care: Ensures quality end of life care. Uses comfort basket to meet resident and family needs. Checks hygiene, comfort, and spiritual needs are met. Treats pain/restlessness. Offers family courtesy meal trays and other amenities. Demonstrates compliance with post-mortem care procedures. Participates in departure ceremony.
- Safety: Complies with safety policies/procedures to ensure safe practices for residents, staff, self and others. Ensures compliance with: gait belt use for all manually assisted transfers, locomotion/transfer/lifting devices, resident positioning, and always uses mechanical lift or orange lift to lift resident from floor. Uses good body mechanics while on duty. Identifies wandering residents and responds to door alarms. Uses and disposes of sharps according to safety standards. Reports safety incidents, concerns, or hazards to DON or other responsible parties as indicated. Takes corrective action for safety issues. Participates in investigation of alleged abuse, IUOs. Responds promptly to investigative inconsistent narcotic counts.
- Infection Control: Complies with infection control standards during tour of duty including hand hygiene, appropriate use of personal protective equipment, and isolation precautions. Understands to use handwashing with soap and water when dealing with gastrointestinal illness. Maintains residents in isolation when indicated. Participates in mandatory vaccination programs. Does not work when contagious.
- Customer Service: Role models AEPC behavior. Promotes answering call lights as soon as possible (5-10 minutes) to meet resident needs in a timely manner. Avoids "toxic" phrases while on duty. Takes action to correct customer service issue immediately and reports concerns/compliments via OFI program. Understands how to use a "Fix It Now" and uses when indicated.
- Privacy/Confidentiality: Maintains privacy and confidentiality for residents at all times including resident information in any format: paper, electronic, video, photographic, and conversation. Minimum Qualifications
- Associate Degree in Nursing
- Licensure by the State of Wisconsin as a Registered Nurse required. CPR certified
- Efficiently and accurately enter data and utilize a PC for a variety of activities Preferred Requirements:
- BSN preferred
- Three to five years of previous nursing experience, especially in a geriatric setting, is preferred, along with previous supervisory experience Department Specific: Ability to communicate professionally with coworkers and residents; ability to deal with time pressures and stress and multiple priorities. Must be able to give and receive information in verbal and written form. Must be able to perform basic and advanced math (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, statistics, decimals, and percentages. St. Mary's Care Center St. Mary's Care Center is a 184-bed skilled nursing and rehabilitative facility. Affiliated with St. Mary's Hospital, St. Mary's Care Center is recognized as a leader among Wisconsin nursing homes. We are committed to providing an excellent quality of life for each resident. St. Mary's Care Center offers award-winning clinical services in a caring and compassionate atmosphere. Many residents make the Care Center their year-round home. Some are with us for memory care, others for short-term rehabilitation services. In all cases, residents and their families take active roles in developing person-centered care plans.
Keywords: SSM Health, Madison , Charge RN - Nursing Home, Healthcare , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!