RN - Emergency
Company: SSM Health
Posted on: February 14, 2019
Role Purpose: Under the general direction of the Unit Director, the Registered Nurse utilizes the nursing process to identify patient needs, systematically plan and implement a plan of care and continually evaluate the results of that care. Responsibilities:
- Fosters, participates and is knowledgeable in Shared Governance as defined at St. Mary s Hospital using the conceptual framework for nursing practice as a guide. Commits to professional development and visible leadership. Assumes responsibility and accountability for own professional practice, continuing education and competency (i.e., mandatory inservice, staff meetings). Seeks learning opportunities.
- Shares expertise and knowledge with coworkers and peers. Assists in orientation of new nursing personnel. Supports the activities, decisions and initiative of colleagues
- Utilizes the nursing process to develop a care plan and deliver patient care. Uses best practice based on literature outcomes, integrates into care provisions and decision making. Advocates for patient/family throughout the nursing process. Acts as a clinical resource to and supervises care delivered by the NA. Delegates work appropriately.
- Follows hospital/unit directives; e.g. standards, policies, procedures, protocols. Assumes responsibility for equipment operation and maintenance. Completes documentation according to unit/hospital standards.
- Demonstrates ability to recognize personal values and beliefs and recognize own beliefs and values as separate from the patient situation.
- Supports activities of colleagues. Participates in unit and/or housewide quality improvement measures. Contributes as an effective team member. Participates in productive/problem solving dialogue (i.e., offers and/or seeks solutions to issues). Recognizes and supports change.
- Participates in at least 50% of unit staff meetings. A minimum of 3 meetings must be in person, the remainder may be by a remote option. Access individual unit's methods of communication regularly.
- Respects the confidentiality and dignity of patients. Communicates effectively with customers.
- Performs charge nurse role. Communicates with Nursing Supervisor at charge nurse meeting each shift and as unit needs dictate. Assigns and reassigns personnel according to dynamics of unit to maintain a balanced workload for current shifts. In collaboration with the Nursing Supervisor, assesses status of unit, making sure current and following shifts are adequately covered.
- Punctual for reports/breaks. Uses supplies effectively. Completes work within required shift, i.e., end of shift; OT minimal or nonexistent.
- Performs other duties as requested. Minimum Qualifications:
- Current State of Wisconsin registered nurse license
- Requires one year of emergency experience
- ACLS and PALS certifications required within one year of employment Preferred Qualifications:
- BSN preferred Physical Requirements:
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily.
- Standing or walking more than 4 hours a day.
- Running to respond to patient emergencies.
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6 hours a day.
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation. About SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital - Madison: St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three- year family practice residency program.
Associated topics: asn, ccu, domiciliary, hospice, infusion, intensive, recovery, staff nurse, surgery, tcu
Keywords: SSM Health, Madison , RN - Emergency, Healthcare , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!