Institutional Pharmacy Technician 2 - Sterile Prod
Company: SSM Health
Posted on: February 13, 2019
Under the general direction of the pharmacy supervisor, this position is responsible for the preparation and distribution of sterile products and IV admixtures using aseptic techniques. Job functions will be completed in accordance with SSMs mission and values, Joint Commission regulations, state and federal laws and the pharmacy department policies and procedures. This position sets work priorities even in the absence of managing staff and can work with minimal assistance from other staff members. This position may be located at St. Marys Hospital inpatient pharmacy OR at a Dean Medical Group Oncology/Infusion center. This position is responsible for the job duties of the Institutional Pharmacy Technician I position if working at St Marys Hospital Pharmacy. This position is also responsible for the active participation in the training of Institutional Pharmacy Technician 1 and 2 level staff. This position may require travel to multiple Dean Medical Group oncology/infusion centers.
1. Employee must consistently demonstrate flexibility in job functions and schedule.
2. Completes miscellaneous projects and tasks as assigned by a supervising pharmacist in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Assists other staff members with their job duties when finished with individual work assignments.
4. Communicates pertinent information and works effectively with pharmacy staff members and other hospital/clinic staff members.
5. Works independently without direct supervision and uses time efficiently.
6. Works to maintain a clean, orderly and efficient work area.
7. Completes, files and maintains all required controlled drug records.
8. Responds positively to internal and external feedback.
9. Completes hospital/clinic and corporate required training and competencies in a timely manner.
10. Passes all internal competencies mandated by the pharmacy department, including validation of proper sterile product technique.
11. Attends department meetings and required in-service presentations.
Sterile Product Compounding:
1. Demonstrates proper aseptic technique with the production of sterile products, including hazardous medications. Understands the current requirements, regulations and competencies for proper sterile product compounding, including USP 797 and 800 standards.
2. Demonstrates the proper handling of hazardous medications in a manner that minimizes the risk of hazardous exposure to pharmacy staff, nursing staff and patients.
3. Verifies all calculations prior to sterile product preparation and has all sterile products checked by pharmacists. The Technician should be able to perform calculations necessary to make these products with minimal assistance.
4. Maintains proper cleanliness of sterile product mixing areas by performing regular cleaning as directed by pharmacy policies and procedures. Uses understanding of the current requirements and regulations for proper cleaning of sterile mixing areas, and maintains the proper cleaning logs for sterile mixing areas.
5. Demonstrates the proper use, maintenance and cleaning of vertical and horizontal flow biologic safety cabinets used for sterile product compounding. Technicians working at Dean Clinic sites will demonstrate the same knowledge with regard to compounding aseptic isolators (glovebox).
6. Disposes of expired or hazardous medications in the appropriate waste containers.
Dean Medical Group Infusion Centers ONLY:
1. Maintains a tightly controlled medication inventory with minimal assistance. This includes placing orders daily with SSM Health medication purchasing warehouse, maintaining inventory with use of a computerized inventory system, minimizing overstock and finding alternatives to drug shortages, processing drug recalls with medication warehouse, and overseeing stock rotation with regularly schedule medication audits.
2. Processes, compounds and coordinates the delivery of sterile product orders from Dean Clinic departments outside of oncology or infusion.
3. Accurately and efficiently completes daily patient billing in Epic using a good understanding of billing and coding requirements. Also enters information on medication lot numbers, expiration dates, National Drug Codes (NDC) information and waste billing into the Epic patient record.
4. Maintains all necessary oncology/infusion pharmacy logsrefrigerator, cleaning, inventory, daily reports, etc.
5. Uses understanding to program Computerized Ambulatory Delivery Device (CADD) infusion pumps, to bill for the pumps and to order necessary supplies using the pump website.
6. Uses telehealth video system to have sterile products checked by a pharmacist at clinic sites where there is not a pharmacist on site.
7. Maintains the stock of medications and supplies at multiple infusion clinics in coordination with other pharmacy personnel and/or nursing staff.
8. Monitors patient schedules and treatment plans at multiple infusion clinic sites in order to maintain proper medication and supply inventories.
9. Performs the proper follow up with oral chemotherapy patients. This includes making calls to the dispensing pharmacy (confirm receipt of Rx, copay amount, date Rx ready for pick up,etc) calls to patients (confirm receipt of Rx and start date, contact information for adherence calls, etc), and documentation in the patient chart.
St. Marys Pharmacy ONLY:
1. Stocking and Inventory:
a. Restocks medication supplies (unit dose, bulk and injectable products) using proper labelling.
b. Accurately fills medications in automated medication dispensing cabinets
c. Accurately fills medication in patient-specific bins or carts.
d. Inspects drug storage areas and medication rooms to comply with accreditation requirements.
e. Problem-solves for resolution of inventory discrepancies and recovers failed drawers in automated medication dispensing machines.
2. Pharmaceutical Preparation:
a. Fills patient carts accurately and efficiently.
b. Regularly sorts and puts away returned medications.
c. Prepares hand packaged medications accurately.
d. Ensures that all medications packaged or dispensed have labels with readable bar codes.
3. Product Package and Delivery:
a. Repackages oral and solid medications into unit-of-use containers, either manually or by use of automated equipment.
b. Restocks code carts, emergency boxes and automated medication dispensing cabinets.
c. Delivers unit-dose medications and stock items to patient care and ancillary areas.
d. Ensures that all medications packaged or dispensed have readable bar codes.
e. Prepares and delivers first dose medications and fills patient unit-dose medication bins.
f. Utilizes bar-code scanning feature when filling automated dispensing cabinets or other technology.
Position descriptions are not intended to be and should not be construed to be a complete list of all the duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents. Duties, responsibilities and expectations may be added, deleted or modified at any time at the discretion of the supervisor.
1. High School diploma or equivalent.
2. Must have Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) through the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board or obtain certification within six months of date of hire.
3. Minimum of two years of work experience as a pharmacy technician with at least one year of that experience working in sterile production.
4. Must possess detailed knowledge and skills that are necessary for the compounding of sterile product preparations which includes strong math skills for making pharmacy calculations.
5. Must display competency and flexibility in performing Institutional Technician I functions if working at St Marys Hospital pharmacy.
6. Must possess a thorough knowledge of medical and pharmacy terminology.
7. Strong computer skills for entering and retrieving information from necessary pharmacy computer programs, and demonstrated proficiency with Word and Excel programs.
8. Excellent customer service and communication skills for interacting professionally with pharmacy team members and other clinical staff members.
9. Strong problem solving and organizational skills for working independently, meeting deadlines and establishing priorities in a variety of assignment areas.
10. Must have the ability to travel to multiple Dean Clinic locations if working at a Dean Clinic infusion center.
11. Must be able to provide instruction and leadership
1. Completion of an accredited pharmacy training program
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when compounding sterile products, including hazardous drugs such as chemotherapy.
2. Ability to enter and retrieve information from a computer terminal.
3. Ability to safely lift 30 pounds from floor to shoulder.
4. Ability to perform fine motor skills and grasping tasks, including manipulations when compounding hazardous medications.
5. Ability to sit or stand and work at a multi-user workstation for long periods of time.
6. Ability to communicate effectively over the phone, via the computer or in person.
7. Ability to read fine print.
8. Ability to work overtime (shifts greater than 8 hours) if necessary.
9. If working at a Dean Clinic infusion center, the ability to safely operate a personal motor vehicle or other reliable transportation between clinic facilities, in compliance with the Companys vehicle safety program.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Keywords: SSM Health, Madison , Institutional Pharmacy Technician 2 - Sterile Prod, Healthcare , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!