Supervisor, Clinical Laboratory Quality Control
Company: Exact Sciences Corporation
Posted on: September 13, 2020
The Supervisor, Clinical Laboratory Quality Control works with
the Clinical Laboratory Manager to coordinate, develop and
communicate the Quality Control and Quality Assurance programs of
the clinical laboratory. This position works collaboratively with
the Quality Assurance team to coordinate and ensure the proper
execution of proficiency testing, non-conforming event tracking,
including escalation, root cause analysis, risk assessments. This
position collaborates with the technology transfer group to ensure
all aspects of new tests and enhancements are appropriately
executed. Additionally, they will work with all managers and
supervisors to ensure workflow enhancements including IT,
automation and employee suggestions are evaluated and adopted as
appropriate. The position, as necessary, performs complex
laboratory tests in the clinical laboratory to provide physicians
with rapid and accurate laboratory test results.include but are not
limited to the following:
- Performs moderate, and/or highly complex analytic processes
without direct supervision. Uses routine and specialized automated
and non-automated laboratory procedures and/or techniques for which
he/she is qualified, trained, and demonstrates competency according
to established lab section operating procedures.
- Operates laboratory instruments and ensures proper functioning
of laboratory equipment.
- Troubleshoots instrument malfunction(s) and performs preventive
and corrective maintenance and repairs on all laboratory
- Completes required maintenance activities on equipment,
recognizes and elevates potential issues to the team members
- Maintains records and reviews documentation of all aspects of
the clinical laboratory.
- Performs quality control procedures as specified and maintains
quality control records and documentation necessary to meet the
standards of accrediting agencies.
- Understands and assists in training employees, on an as needed
- Verifies accuracy, and enters data in the laboratory computer
system, along with appropriate explanatory or interpretive
information. Meets all section turn-around times.
- Validates acceptability of test results by review of quality
control and all other test parameters.
- Identifies the technical, instrumental and/or physiologic
causes of unexpected test results and assists the Clinical
Laboratory Supervisor in developing corrective action.
- Evaluates and calculates quality control statistics to assess
accuracy, reproducibility and validity of current laboratory
- Monitors quality assurance and assists in data collection and
preparation of QA indicators.
- Performs internal and external proficiency testing. Handles
proficiency-testing samples in the same manner as patient
- Assists the Clinical Laboratory Manager and Supervisors in
developing and distributing proficiency samples, analysis, and
reporting of testing results.
- Meets work product output expectations.
- Responds to technical questions consistent with level of
- Participates in continuing education and staff meetings.
Prepares and presents continuing education programs for department
personnel as requested.
- Assists in verifying competency of new employees.
- Instructs personnel in work team(s) on new methods and/or
- Contributes to design, research, review and writing of
- Complies with safety and hazard regulations as outlined in the
Clinical Laboratory Safety Manual.
- Recognizes unexpected results, errors and problems with patient
tests and works collaboratively to resolve the problems.
- Identifies technical, instrumental and/or physiologic causes of
unexpected test results. Assists the supervisor and Clinical
Laboratory Supervisor in developing solutions to problems based on
knowledge of biochemical theory/reactions, patient diagnosis and
- Ensures quality and timeliness of patient test results by
investigating problems involving specimen collection, result
reporting, and turn-around time. Interprets problems with specimens
which meet the rejection criteria for unacceptable samples.
- Uses statistical methods to assess laboratory testing.
- Observes principles of data security and patient
confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of
testing and in interactions with patients, co-workers and other
health care professionals.
- Resolves and documents resolution of all QC results which fail
lab criteria and institutes corrective action.
- Evaluates instrument/method failure and determines when back-up
methods must be initiated.
- Supervises laboratory personnel as assigned.
- Implements changes as assigned in response to new technology
and laboratory procedures.
- Supervises staff including but not limited to organize and
prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop,
and manage work performance.
- Communicates goals clearly to employees to ensure understanding
and success in achieving them.
- Motivates and inspire employees to do their best work through
- Maintains morale and support employee engagement
- Maintains open and effective communication with personnel in
work team, and with members of other teams throughout the
- Demonstrates willingness to cooperate with team members and
with cross-functional groups in the laboratory to accomplish timely
and accurate testing.
- Demonstrates professional demeanor, in personal appearance and
behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability,
innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System
policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds on an occasional basic up to
25% of the time.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 50% of a typical
working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 50% of a
typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and
forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- Ability to work on a computer and phone simultaneously.
- Ability to listen and speak on the telephone and write
- Ability to operate telephone system and computer keyboard and
- Position requires work in normal laboratory environment.
Special uniform and personal protective equipment is required while
working in the laboratory.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and
instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing
elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.Minimum
- Bachelors degree in Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical
Technology or in the chemical or biological sciences. Must satisfy
the education requirements of the applicable certifying agency,
- 5+ years of moderate or high complexity testing in a clinical
- 2+ years in a role with progressively increasing
responsibilities; such as quality and control, lead technologist,
or technical specialist, in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Possession of appropriate certification at time of hire from
one of the nationally recognized certification agencies, i.e. ASCP
or state licensure that has been determined to be equivalent, and
maintain throughout employment in position.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to stakeholder requests in a
professional and timely manner.
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills and
strong attention to detail.
- Detailed understanding of the laboratory information systems
including Exact Sciences System Software.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the
position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without
sponsorship.We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable
local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company's
affirmative action program are available to any applicant or
employee for inspection upon request.
Keywords: Exact Sciences Corporation, Madison , Supervisor, Clinical Laboratory Quality Control, Healthcare , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!