Farm/Ranch Regional Underwriting Manager
Company: American Family Insurance
Posted on: September 14, 2019
At American Family Insurance, we're driven by our customers and
employees. That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide
opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a
new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next,
you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts
with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team.
Bring your dreams.Quick Stats:Job ID: R13348 Farm/Ranch Regional
Underwriting Manager (Open)Summary:This position is responsible for
managing a Farm/Ranch (F/R) Underwriting Unit. Provides leadership
and directly manages people, systems, products and projects to
achieve unit and department goals. Establishes, communicates and
implements department plans, objectives and strategies. Effectively
manages an underwriting unit to provide commercial and farmowners
lines products and service to our customers with a focus on
- Completion of CPCU or Associate in Underwriting (AU)
designation may be required within a timeframe specified by
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions,
support or service
- Demonstrated leadership or management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of profitability, growth,
and risk concepts.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of Farm and/or Commercial
Line policies, underwriting philosophy, and procedures gained
through progressive underwriting, product management, premium
audit, or claim experience.
- This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
Additional Job Information:Candidates selected for an interview
with the hiring manager will be asked to complete a leadership
skills assessment.Job Description:Primary Accountabilities
Commercial and Farmowners Lines Underwriting Unit Operations
- Provides risk analysis, accurate risk selection, appropriate
selection of coverages and pricing. Conducts or directs work
product audits to assure consistent processes, compliance, and
identification of training needs.
- Ensures compliance of underwriting operations with state and
federal regulations. Researches and responds to insurance
department complaints or inquiries.
- Provides technical expertise and support for the underwriting
of unique, complex or large premium accounts. This includes
placement of property and excess/umbrella liability reinsurance for
- Resolves escalated or sensitive issues arising from internal
and external customers including the field force.
- Directs claims problem resolution including contract
interpretation, reformations, claims committees, ab initio
- Manages appropriate authority levels for underwriters based on
knowledge and skill level.
Management/Leadership for the Underwriting Unit (35%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, products and projects to
achieve unit and departmental goals. This is done in accordance
with company policies and practices.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus
affecting the results of the operating area.
- Performs administrative activities in a timely manner necessary
to effectively manage the department, including but not limited to
budget preparation, reports preparation, and salary
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common
vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing
and rewarding outstanding performance and maintaining open
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance
feedback, providing effective performance reviews, and establishing
development plans to include continuing education.
Strategies Linked to the Division`s Business Goals/Results
- Establishes, communicates and implements departmental plans,
objectives, and strategies, with particular attention to department
and division business plans.
- Participates as a member of the department management
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family's business
environments, corporate culture and structure to support key
- Maintains contacts with counterparts in other companies.
Stay connected: Join our Talent Community!
Keywords: American Family Insurance, Madison , Farm/Ranch Regional Underwriting Manager, Executive , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!