Company: Sur La Table
Posted on: June 25, 2022
The General Manager contributes to the success of a Sur La Table
store by inspiring customers on all points of their culinary
journey. The General Manager blends business acumen and operational
knowledge to drive retail and culinary business results while
building a high-performing team. This role uses discretion in
assigning duties to employees and in employment decisions and is
accountable for the achievement of sales goals, store operations,
staffing and performance management of all store employees. The
General Manager reports to the District Manager.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Models and directs employees to ensure customer service
standards are met.
- Creates an environment where employees are informed and capable
by directing training activities for all retail and culinary
- Models and ensures all Sur La Table policies and standard
operating procedures (SOPs) are communicated effectively to
employees, maintained and consistently followed.
- Manages the complete operations of the store. Ensures employees
are effective at executing corporate initiatives in a timely,
efficient and resource-wise manner. Delegates tasks appropriately
and holds team accountable.
- Proactively monitors and manages store staffing levels
according to retail and culinary censuses and fluctuations in
seasonal business needs.
- Maintains an active performance development process. Provides
coaching in the moment and performance feedback to employees.
Conducts formal performance reviews.
- Seeks opportunities to increase topline sales. Challenges and
inspires employees to achieve and execute sales driving
- Analyzes and measures retail and culinary business trends.
Develops and implements plans to drive topline sales, profitability
and culinary revenue.
- Completes the store schedule optimizing allocated hours to meet
retail and culinary goals.
- Stays informed by maintaining product knowledge, accesses
available training and seeks out additional resources when
- Ensures the accuracy and integrity of employee information
including, but not limited to, Time and Attendance records and
- Manages inventory, controls shrink, retail supply and culinary
- Appropriately partners with District Manager, HQ Retail
Operations, Human Resources and other departments as needed or
- Ensures adherence to applicable wage and hour laws. Accurately
records time worked according to SLT policy.
- Demonstrates exceptional verbal and written communication
skills with employees, customers, field management and corporate
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by District Manager or
- Ability to communicate verbally and work cooperatively with
employees and customers.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for up to 3 hours at
- Ability to move about the store coaching and directing
employees; selling to customers and retrieving merchandise from
stockroom or sales floor.
- Ability to grab, reach, push, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and
crouch in order to retrieve and replenish merchandise.
- Ability to work a varied schedule to observe employees and
customers at different times of the day, week and year.
- Ability to ascend/descend ladders in order to retrieve and/or
- Ability to operate a computer, POS system, keyboards,
merchandise scanners and mouse in order to accomplish work.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise weighing up to 35
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3-5 Years of progressively responsible retail management
experience. Prior experience as a Sur La Table Store Manager,
- Experience driving sales and motivating high performing sales
- Experience training others and holding teams accountable.
- Experience leading and coaching teams of varied
- Proven financial management skills.
- Food Handler or Food Manager Certification.
- Proficient in POS systems.
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge,
experience, wisdom & decisive action.
- Take Ownership: You are committed, responsible and provide
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and
Sur La Table Leadership Competencies for People Managers:
- Develop People: You never compromise on people.
- Lead the Way: You influence positive outcomes.
- Facilitate Success: Your team is motivated, engaged and
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an
exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job
responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and
duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job
description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract.
Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description
at any time without notice.
Sur La Table is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All
qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, national origin, gender, religion,
disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran
status, or marital status. Sur La Table will consider for
employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner
consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
Keywords: Sur La Table, Madison , General Manager, Executive , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!