Director of Communications and Public Relations
Posted on: May 16, 2022
Title: Director of Communications and Public Relations
Salary: $90,000 - $110,000
gener8tor's turnkey platform for the creative economy connects
startup founders, musicians, artists, investors, universities and
corporations. The gener8tor platform includes pre-accelerators,
accelerators, corporate programming, skills, conferences and
gener8tor seeks a Director of Communications and Public Relations
to join our rapidly growing team.---This position will report to
the Vice President of Public Affairs and be in the unique position
of national communications and public relations at the center of
the startup, policy, workforce development, arts, and music
The Director of Communications and Public Relations will serve as a
liaison and a lead communicator to the public, communities, and to
press outlets through traditional, social, digital, and evolving
innovative media platforms. gener8tor is a mission-driven venture
funder and national accelerator network that helps startups,
workers, musicians, artists, companies, and universities across
race, place, and gender. We are seeking an experienced professional
who has a varied communications background across traditional and
non-traditional media ventures. The Director will drive external
communications by developing a comprehensive strategy to place
gener8tor's focus on under-invested communities and business
sectors at the center of national business, finance, entertainment,
and policy conversations.
- Commitment to equity across race, place and gender.
- 5-7 years experience in communications, public relations and/or
journalism with a mix of experience in media relations, digital
communication, social media, policy communications, thought
leadership, and crisis communications.
- A combination of education and commensurate experience.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication,
relationship-building and creative storytelling.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills with the
ability to replicate the voice of leaders in the company and
gener8tor's brand voice.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly independent environment
and juggle multiple ongoing projects, responsibilities and
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a self-starter.
- Experience writing, editing, and planning thought-leadership
opportunities, media placements, and bylines.
- Passion and curiosity to research and learn how gener8tor's
services, investments, and programs work to be able to communicate
our value beyond surface level discussions.
- A willingness to explore and experiment with emerging
communications technology and advanced media platforms to promote
gener8tor news, stories, and brands.
- Flexibility to travel and work some nights and weekends.
- A "no job is beneath me" mentality.
- Commitment to equity across race, place and gender.
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President of Public Affairs
to lead, manage, and strategize public relations, media engagement,
social media, digital, and external communications across all
company divisions and product lines.
- Oversee and leverage gener8tor's traditional, social, digital,
and emerging media channels to amplify campaigns and support core
media relations activities.
- Identify, negotiate, and manage strategic partnerships and
relationships that support the current and emerging communications
priorities and position us as an innovative leader in the current
and future fields in which gener8tor works.
- Identify innovative opportunities to elevate gener8tor's
- Lead media outreach initiatives inclusive of pitching, handling
media queries, and managing media relationships.
- Identify appropriate spokespeople and prepare them for
interviews, including media trainings, message development, and
- Promote and secure media placements for gener8tor accelerator
and portfolio companies.
- Implement an editorial calendar to manage and align gener8tor's
- With the Vice President of Public Affairs, oversee the
development and placement of executive communications and thought
leadership-including byline and contributed articles, op-eds, blog
posts, and social media content.
- Work collaboratively with events, government relations, and
business development teams to lead and manage communications and
media opportunities around partnerships, launches, brand promotion
initiatives and events.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive strategic
communication planning and execution and develop and distribute
communication materials/messaging to internal teams.
- Monitor communications campaign performance across media
platforms and deliver timely reporting to team leads and senior
- Manage crisis communications if needed.
At gener8tor we---
- Revolve everything we do around helping the entrepreneurs in
- Wipe down the tables after lunch with as much enthusiasm as we
have taking a trip out to Silicon Valley.
- Are motivated by building a better tomorrow for the communities
we interact with.
- Work as a team to get $#!- done!
We strongly encourage candidates who are Black, indigenous, people
of color, women, LGBTQIA+, those with previous felony convictions
and others who identify as being from an underrepresented group to
apply. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to any of
the above characteristics or others protected by law.
Keywords: gener8tor, Madison , Director of Communications and Public Relations, Executive , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!