Company: FCDI - FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics Inc
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Overview We are in the market for qualified candidates for the
newly created position of Director, Intellectual Property. In this
critical, and hands-on role you'll direct FCDI's patent and
intellectual property functions to include but not limited to the
preparation, processing and filing of: patent applications, trade
secrets, trademarks, copyrights, licensing and research agreements,
publications and intellectual property aspects of contracts and
agreements. In this high visibility role you'll advise and inform
senior management through competitive landscape analysis,
patentability and freedom to operate analysis for our R&D
pipeline programs and business development opportunities as well as
patent prosecution matters. You'll also be the hub of communication
to ensure that legal issues and recommendations are communicated
and coordinated with key stakeholders.FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics is
a leading developer and supplier of human cells used in drug
discovery, toxicity testing, stem cell banking, and cell therapy
development. We partner with innovators from around the world to
combine biologically relevant human cells with the newest
technologies to drive advancements in medicine and healthier
living. Our technology can be used to create induced pluripotent
stem cells (iPSCs) from anyone and followed by the powerful
capability to develop into virtually any cell type in the human
body. Our proprietary manufacturing system result in inventoried
iCell-- products and donor-specific MyCell-- Products in the
quantity, quality, purity, and reproducibility required for drug
and cell therapy development External US
- Provide IP counseling to R&D, business development,
commercial, and other business teams on patent, out-licensing,
regulatory data exclusivity, trademark, and other intellectual
- Conduct patent and prior art search, competitive landscape
analysis, patentability and freedom to operate analysis for R&D
pipeline programs and business development opportunities.
- Coordinate and partner with the R&D team to identify
company inventions for patent filings
- Identify global patentable inventions, draft patent
applications, and work together with outside counsel on patent
filing, opinion advice, and prosecution matters.
- Maintain a patent monitoring system and conducts regular
meetings review research; delivers research findings in a timely
and high-quality manner
- Build and maintain a strong intellectual property portfolio to
support the Company's R&D and commercialization efforts.
- Select, develop, motivate, train and retain a staff of
intellectual property professionals.
- Draft IP provisions of contract templates, as well as review
and negotiate IP clauses in relevant contracts.
- Support business development and research collaborations,
including due diligence assessments, and advise on contract
drafting and negotiation.
- Monitor patent trends and case law developments in major
markets and adjust IP strategies accordingly; and advocate
positions in matters concerning IP government and regulatory
- Review draft publications and presentations for potential
impact to FCDI's patent portfolio
- Provide litigation support, including validity and infringement
- Manage trademark matters
- Review and analyze third-party patent filings and technical
- Other job functions as assigned. Qualifications
- Advanced scientific degree (Ph.D. or Master's) in biological
- Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school is a plus, but
- 10 years of relevant IP management and functional leadership
experience in the biopharmaceutical industry, including significant
in-house experience, with demonstrated achievements and progressive
- Deep understanding of global pharmaceutical patent laws,
regulatory data protection laws, regulations and best practices, in
the U.S., Japan, China, and Europe.
- USPTO registration to practice is required
- Demonstrated ability to educate and support the organization at
large on IP-related matters
- Demonstrated proficiency and strong understanding of
bio-pharmaceutical R&D and commercialization.
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills, with
the ability and confidence to represent FCDI in the area of patent
- Skilled at managing outside counsel
- Strong project management and excellent organizational skills
with the ability to multi-task and handle multiple patent
applications simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven
- In-depth knowledge and experience in counseling discovery and
development and commercial launch.
- Proven track record of patent portfolio development.
- Experience and skill at drafting patent applications and
responses to patent office actions.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong cross-functional
relationships and influence others without direct line reporting
- A demonstrated ability to collaborate, as well as to work
independently, balancing competing priorities in a fast-paced
environment with a high level of professionalism.
- Highly effective communication skills (both verbal and
- Ability to understand complicated laws and regulations and
translate them into practical, business-oriented guidance
- Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information
using excellent discretion and judgment.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and be reliable and
- Ability to be flexible and willing to accept new
responsibilities as needed.
- Travel up to 10%FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics, Inc. is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status or
status as an individual with a disability. All qualified applicants
will not be discriminated against on the basis of a disability
Keywords: FCDI - FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics Inc, Madison , IP Director, Executive , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!