Transit Class C Mechanic - Entry Level
Company: City of Madison
Posted on: March 19, 2023
* This recruitment is being extended one week due to a limited pool of candidates.
Previously submitted applications will remain under consideration.
Prior applicants need not reapply.
We invite you to start your career as a Metro Transit Mechanic. Mechanical aptitude is required, but extensive training to work on transit vehicles is provided. We also train you to get your CDL permit and license.
Employees may be eligible for loan forgiveness through thePublic Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
CURRENT RECRUITMENT IS FOR MULTIPLE VACANCIES.
This is transit mechanical work that involves servicing and performing routine, repetitive, and minor preventive maintenance and repair work on diesel, hybrid, and electric motor coaches. Employees initially work under close supervision of a maintenance supervisor in a training capacity for up to six (6) months while they continue to increase mechanical skills and familiarity with Metro Transit equipment and procedures.
All Metro Transit mechanics are hired at entry level but have the ability to move into higher level B and A mechanic positions over time as vacancies occur.
Upon hire, employees are paid $2075.10 biweekly (in CG41, Range 04). After successfully completing the six (6) month training period, employees receive a pay increase to $2118.62 biweekly (to CG41, Range 06).
All training is paid.
* Approximately four to five (4 - 5) weeks of CDL training - Monday Through Friday, 6:00 AM -2:00 PM.
After receiving your CDL license, mechanic training will begin and the schedule will be as follows:
* One (1) week of service lane training: Monday through Friday, on second shift (4:00 PM - 12:30 AM)
* One (1) week of parking schedule training: Sunday through Thursday, on second shift (11:00 PM - 7:30 AM)
The remainder of training will be either Monday through Friday, first shift, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, second shift, 4:00 PM - 12:30 AM or a combination of both until training is completed. Training period will be at least six (6) months.
After training, new entry-level mechanics will pick their scheduled shift based on seniority. Employees in this classification will likely need to be available for any shift (first, second, third and weekend) and newest employees will be the last to pick.
The City of Madison is an equal opportunity employer functioning under an affirmative action plan. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. Black, Indigenous, people of color, women, trans, nonbinary, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
How to apply: Apply online at www.cityofmadison.com/jobs.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
* Bus preventive maintenance
* Service vehicles (cars, trucks, forklifts, etc.)
* Fare box preventive maintenance
* Air-conditioning preventive maintenance
* Rebuild sub-assembly
* Repairing heating and air-conditioning, brakes, engine cooling system
* Compressed air system maintenance
* Paint and body repair
* Engine repair
* Transmission repair
* Electrical repair
* Exhaust repair
* Fare box repair
* Fuel system repair
* Radio repair/installation
* Suspension repair
* Change tires
* Lift/ramp repair
* Wheels and hubs maintenance
* Building cleaning and repair
* Support vehicle repair
* Execute road calls
* Other duties as assigned
Six (6) months of technical experience in auto, diesel, construction, agriculture or related field.
Six (6) months of education in auto or diesel mechanics or other related technical field can be substituted for the experience.
Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited for an in-person, multiple-choice mechanical aptitude assessment in order to determine who will move forward in the hiring process.
For a complete list of the knowledge, skills, and abilities, please see the class specification online.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
To continue employment, employees must pass the Class B Commercial Drivers License (CDL), passenger and air brake endorsement permit and road tests during training.
License and endorsements must be maintained as a condition of continued employment.
Click hereto find study information that will be the focus of the first few weeks of training.
Appropriate sections to study:
* B/C General Knowledge
* Restrictions - Air Brakes
* Endorsements - P (Transporting Passengers)
Employeesin this position must have the ability to:
* Occasionally lift up to 75 pounds with equipment (starter, 8d battery) from the floor to waist and 35 pounds from the floor to overhead (3/4 inch and 1/2 inch impact wrench.)
* Occasionally carry up to 75 pounds a distance of up to 5 feet (rear axle) and up to 30 pounds a distance of 40 feet (various components, the length of a vehicle to the bench area in the rear),
* Push a cart loaded with up to 100 pounds regularly (battery cart.)
* Frequently climb ladder
* Sustain both arms overhead for several minutes weighted with up to 20 pounds (various components or tools.)
* Frequently sustain a squatting or kneeling position for up to 10 minutes
* Frequently sustain a stooped position for up to 5 minutes.
* Safely grasp a variety of hand and power tools and sustain the grasp for several minutes.
* Manipulate small parts with reasonable dexterity (nuts, bolts, screws.)
Metro Transit has adopted the physical qualification standards provided in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations of the Federal Highway Administration. These standards permit the hiring of qualified individuals with disabilities, as required by the Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, Sec. 111.34(2)(c), Wisconsin Statutes. The successful candidate must be able to pass the Metro physical with either a one-time 2-year certification or re-certifications for a 2-year period.
* Payroll title for this position is Transit Class C Mechanic
Keywords: City of Madison, Madison , Transit Class C Mechanic - Entry Level, Engineering , Madison, Wisconsin
here to apply!