Collections Specialist I
Company: UW Credit Union
Posted on: February 15, 2019
UW Credit Union's Collections team is growing and hiring for a Collections Specialist! If you are passionate about helping people through life's struggles, this is the role for you. You, along with the close-knit Collections team, will play a key role in minimizing loss for UW Credit Union by working with members who have fallen behind on payments, and creating realistic and achievable plans to get their finances on track. At UW Credit Union, humanity counts most. We're not here to judge. We understand life happens. The Collections Specialist's goal is to assess each member's situation with compassion, empathy, and persistence, and craft a unique solution to fit their needs. UW Credit Union's delinquency rate runs below industry average, thanks to our dedicated and skilled Collections team. As Collections Specialist, you will put your detective skills to the test as you persistently work to resolve delinquent accounts. You have a passion for analyzing puzzles, and strategically putting the pieces together. You find comfort in communicating the 'tough stuff' with compassion and clarity. You are familiar with the ins and outs of working in a financial institution; familiarity with collections practices is a perk, but not required. Organization and task-oriented work is where you shine; you enjoy problem solving independently, while still collaborating with your team when needed. UW Credit Union employs a 'Members for Life' philosophy: the Collections Specialist aims to maintain member trust and respect throughout the collections process, so the member remains with UW Credit Union long after their financial issues are resolved. This position must effectively carry out the essential duties of this position in a manner that consistently demonstrates the core values of the organization in a positive manner.
- Review and collect on assigned delinquent loans by gathering background data, documenting member conversations, and ensuring required notifications are sent to members
- Analyze accounts to determine next steps (i.e. account type, amount owed, credit score, collateral value, etc.)
- Work as a team to meet specific department goals for delinquency and net charge offs
- Provide excellent service to UW Credit Union members through verbal and written inquiries regarding general loan questions
- Correspond with attorneys regarding accounts that have been sent out for legal
- Serve as a liaison for auto repossession agency & agents
- Serve as an engaged member of the Collections Team by taking ownership for and recommending change in operations to enhance productivity and improve service To perform this job successfully, an individual must demonstrate regular, predictable attendance and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The individual must be able to successfully pass background checks. - Associates degree in business or related field desired but not required. - 2-3 years of experience in banking, retail, or customer service required. - Strong customer service skills and the ability to skillfully handle confrontation. - Strong attention to detail. - Effective organizational, decision making and interpersonal skills. - Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and system knowledge. - Must have strong oral and written communication skills. - Able to work independently, organize and prioritize work. - Knowledge of the fundamentals of collections concepts and practices is desired (including the FDPCA and applicable collections laws) - Knowledge of fundamental loan and deposit programs, products, concepts and practices is desired. Why work for UW Credit Union? Join Wisconsin's number one credit union as rated by Forbes 2018, a four-time recipient of Madison Magazine's Best Places to Work, and a two-time Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Top Workplace to receive:
- 21.5 days annual time off
- 2 days paid volunteer time
- 9 paid holidays (includes your birthday!)
- 401k company match of up to 5%, plus approximately 4% discretionary match
- Variable bonus reward
- Free bus pass and B-Cycle membership
- 5 health plan options, including domestic partner eligibility
- And more! UW Credit Union is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Minorities, Protected Veterans, Women, and individuals with Disabilities. We strive to cultivate an inclusive workplace that is home to a diverse workforce where employees at all levels model knowledge of, belief in and a commitment to cultural competence.
Keywords: UW Credit Union, Madison , Collections Specialist I, Accounting, Auditing , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!