Executive Director - Foundation for Dane County Parks, Inc.
Company: Madison 365
Posted on: August 7, 2022
JOB DESCRIPTION: This position is based in Madison, Wisconsin,
and responsible for fostering an organization focused on creating
lasting benefits for how people and land come together. The
Executive Director will be a dynamic, thoughtful, and strategic
leader with a proven ability to work closely with the Board of
Directors to raise funds to support the Foundation's work. In
addition to driving execution of the mission and the strategic
plan, the ED represents the organization in the greater Madison
community and the larger conservation community. The ED ensures the
continued evolution of the organization, its partnerships, and
understands what it means, and what it takes to support parks and
trails as permanent benefits to the community.
The Foundation maintains a close, working partnership with Dane
County Parks and the ED will work closely with parks staff on a
variety of projects. The ED's office is in a Dane County Parks
office building, to ease communication with parks staff and build
The ED will be a goal-oriented visionary leader committed to
building on our successes of this new organization to establish a
long term sustainable financial footing. The ED will engage with
our Board to inspire and build partnerships to expand the
Foundation for Dane County Parks (FDCP) and make our work useful
and relevant to all communities. The ED will be a steward of the
mission and build on 9 years of success supporting Dane County
Parks (DCP). The ED will expand our core mission to raise funds to
support the cherished county lands and lead FDCP to meet emerging
challenges in our rapidly growing community.
Current challenges are:
- Sustaining an independent non-profit organization, while
working and communicating closely with DCP staff to identify needs
and promote awareness of the benefits of parks.
- Promoting the engagement in parks and trails as major elements
in community physical, mental health and wellness.
Responding to people's changing needs and desires about how to
enjoy and use conservation lands, such as raising funds for
accessible piers and kayak lifts for people with mobility
- Promoting park and trail accessibility for all members of the
community by helping to overcome barriers for all, especially
Indigenous, Black, and Other People of Color.
- Helping DCP in preserving land to meet the demands of our
growing Dane County population.
Maintaining our existing donors and finding new and creative ways
to grow and sustain the FDCP into the future.
Fundraising Responsibilities (in conjunction with the Board of
- Coordinate all fundraising activities.
- Develop fundraising strategies that support the FDCP Mission &
- Cultivate, solicit and steward major individual, foundation and
- Solicit and secure major program and unrestricted gifts,
planned gifts, and endowed gifts and help meet organizational
- Seek out and apply for grant opportunities that align with FDCP
- Work with the Fundraising Committee and Board to set
- Review and revise the Foundation's Sustainability
- Develop and Implement fundraising events.
- Ensure that time and resources spent align with the FDCP
Mission & Vision.
- Engage regularly with Board of Directors to maximize their time
- Identify and cultivate potential new partners that align with
FDCP Mission & Vision.
- Maintain/build relationships with individuals and organizations
that further the Foundation's mission and inspire community
connection to Dane County Parks.
- Coordinate with Dane County Parks staff on shared projects and
identify parks needs that align with the Foundation's
- Represent proudly the FDCP in community settings.
- Ensure that day-to-day activities support the FDCP Strategic
Plan, Mission & Vision.
- Engage regularly staff and partners to ensure alignment with
- Schedule and facilitate FDCP Board and Committee
- Ensure accurate reporting of FDCP work and financials.
- Manage FDCP annual budget/finances in coordination with the
Board Treasurer and the Bookkeeping Service, and participate in the
audit review or audit process.
- Assist with FDCP communications and promotion
- Coordinate a strategic planning process with FDCP Board
- Manage existing FDCP partnerships.
- Support the Foundation's grant allocation program for volunteer
- Help with administrative needs like donation processing & donor
- Help manage social media and website.
- Execute external contracts for FDCP administrative and human
- Develop a program with Dane County Parks for Memorials/Tributes
donated to benefit parks and trails.
- Develop a Personnel Manual with the help of the Board and the
- Supervise part-time staff.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
While it's rare for a single individual to possess all the desired
experiences and qualifications, the successful candidate should
bring many of the following qualifications, skills, experience, and
qualities to the role:
- Several years of fundraising experience.
- Familiarity with the Grant Writing process, as well as local,
State, Federal Grantmaking organizations.
- Proven ability to cultivate, solicit and steward major
individual, foundation and corporate donors.
- Proven financial management, fundraising, project management,
and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities of
donors, board leaders, community leaders, managers, and
- Non-profit or public sector experience.
- Awareness of social inequalities and the competencies required
to foster an inclusive, diverse, and accessible anti-racist
- Experience initiating, leading, team building and
problem-solving with strong interpersonal and emotional
- Must have effective oral and written communication
- Experience, training or degree in natural resources, community
conservation or related fields.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Operational knowledge of Social Media.
THIS JOB IS IDEAL FOR SOMEONE WHO:
- Is passionate about nature and parks - values the critical
roles of the environment in our lives.
- Likes to fundraise - is comfortable fostering donor
- Thinks strategically - can look at the big picture and has
practical problem-solving skills
- Is historically aware - knows history & role of conservation
organizations & issues of racism in conservation and need for
removing barriers to inclusiveness for all.
- Is inspiring - can motivate the FDCP volunteer team and
- Is humble - understands that there is a lot we don't know.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in being considered for this exciting
opportunity, and can demonstrate the required abilities and
knowledge, please submit your resume and cover letter to Judie
Pfeifer email@example.com call (608)
334-0070 for information.
Applications will be reviewed as received with the goal of
identifying an outstanding candidate before September 15, 2022. The
position will remain open until we have an accepted offer.
The expected start date for the position is October 1, 2022.
Salary Range and Benefits
- $75,000 - $80,000 per year based on experience and
- FDCP will contribute towards the access and cost of Healthcare
- 11 Paid Holidays, plus 20 additional days of Paid Time Off
- Additional family, parental, and other forms of paid/unpaid
leave can be negotiated after 1-year of employment.
- Hybrid/Flex-time available.
- Simple IRA retirement is available for voluntary contributions
by the employee.
Monday through Friday (and occasional evening and weekend work);
ability to provide one's own transportation for work at the DCP's
office and for community work. The Darren Marsh Parks and Lake
Management Facility (DCP office building) is located at 4212
Robertson Rd, Madison, 53714.
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION FOR DANE COUNTY PARKS (FDCP):
About the Foundation for Dane County Parks (FDCP): The Foundation
for Dane County Parks is a non-profit organization that supports
the diverse, expansive and beautiful Dane County Parks system.
Since 2012, the Foundation has served as an independent source of
financial support for Dane County Parks, providing grants to
volunteer groups, organizing programming though community
partnerships and fundraising for special projects like accessible
piers. Its engaged and committed Board of Directors have raised
over $2M to support its mission. Our financial support supplements,
but does not supplant, the County's investment in the park system.
Dane County Parks manages over 17,000 acres of parks, wildlife
areas, and natural resource areas, over 100 miles of trails and
benefits from the work of over 1600 volunteers. As partners, we
work together to ensure that our parks, trails and open spaces are
cared for not only today but for generations to come. This
well-established Board of Directors is looking to hire its first
MISSION: The mission of the Foundation is to support and raise
funds for Dane County Parks and promote peoples' connection and
access to nature.
VISION: Dane County will sustain a thriving park system that
improves the quality of life for all residents and strengthens our
community's resilience to the effects of climate change.
Keywords: Madison 365, Madison , Executive Director - Foundation for Dane County Parks, Inc., Accounting, Auditing , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!