Software Engineer - Ventures & Innovation (open to remote)
Company: American Family Insurance
Posted on: April 10, 2021
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an
organization's most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences
matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we're committed to
growing a diverse and inclusive culture that empowers innovation
that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers' dreams in
ways never imagined.
American Family Insurance is driven by our customers and employees.
That's why we provide more than just a job - we provide
opportunity. Whether you're already part of our team in search of a
new challenge or new to our company and ready for what's next,
you're in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts
with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team.
Bring your dreams.
R20821 Software Engineer - Ventures & Innovation (open to remote)
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic
The American Family Venture Build team takes on the challenges of
innovation via a unique, multi-disciplinary team focused on
business creation. We combine Technology, Entrepreneurship, and
Design Thinking to come up with great ideas for companies, validate
them in the market, build solutions and spin them out. It's a
challenging objective that requires agile thinking and a commitment
This is a hands-on role where you'll have the opportunity to
participate in a wide range of "insurance-adjacent" projects and
help define their future. We'll look to you to take initiative with
new projects in determining technical fit and feasibility for
projects and work to develop those concepts through MVP to a
market-ready product. The hands-on element is just that: building
the tech, doing technical due diligence, and exploring emerging
You'll be part of a team, supporting innovative projects that are
focused on building solutions, based on our Design Thinking and
Lean Startup methodologies. A strong candidate will have 2 to 5
years of software development experience, as well as an interest in
helping grow businesses that provide value to their communities.
Our methodology includes a lot of market validation, which means we
like to be flexible and adaptable, and this role will play a key
part in helping support and evaluate changes in direction.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Work on multi-disciplinary (Design, Tech, Product) teams in
building MVPs and market-ready solutions
* Build prototypes, proofs-of-concept, and production-ready
products in a cloud environment
* Stay informed of emerging technologies and be able to describe
their impact to the business
* Perform code reviews and technical analysis for projects
* Produce technical deliverables including technical
* Work with business stakeholders to perform technicaldDue
diligence and technology feasibility for new projects
* Quickly learn and experiment with new technologies to establish
an opinion and build supporting prototypes
* This position requires travel up to 25% of the time.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
* 2-5 years of full-stack software development experience
* Excellent oral, written, and visual presentation skills
* Relentless intellectual curiosity and a love for rapid
* Understanding of human-centric/empathetic research techniques
* Comfortable talking & presenting to people internal and external
to the company
Additional Job Information:
The information below is meant as a guideline, and we don't expect
any one person to check all of these boxes. If the description
resonates with you on any level, please don't let something we
listed (or didn't list!) prevent you from applying!
* Bachelor (or higher) degree in CS, Engineering, STEM, etc
* Knowledge of microservices architecture and building scalable,
modular, API-based systems
* Proficiency in one or more modern languages, e.g. Java, C#,
* Ability to work in a self-directed manner, proactively requesting
support when needed
* Startup experience or working in small cross-functional teams
* Experience working with AWS, Google Cloud, Azure or another cloud
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results
of applicable background checks.
Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a
non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade
secrets, and inventions.
We are open to hiring candidates to work remotely (anywhere in the
When you work at American Family you can expect benefits that
support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will
have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing
benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer
a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual
incentive, and a paid-time off program. In addition, our student
loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to
support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent
workers are not eligible for American Family Enterprise
Stay connected: Join Our Enterprise Talent Community!
Keywords: American Family Insurance, Madison , Software Engineer - Ventures & Innovation (open to remote), Accounting, Auditing , Madison, Wisconsin
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!